Monday, July 22, 2013

Rejuvenated....

Got home at midnight from Kansas, went to a workshop at the Sewing workshop with Linda Lee...I had met her in Puyallap Wa at the Sewing Expo back in February.  My pal, Elaine , insisted that I join her for this event....I call it an event because it was!!!!! 3 days of sewing which expanded to 4... We went through fitting, design and sewing instruction...we were enveloped by hundreds of finished samples and gloriously beautiful fabrics. 

I used to sew the majority of my wardrobe. Somehow, after Luke's death and my move I lost interest...but kept knitting. But since knitting is a work responsibility it no longer is a diversion from work stress...the quilting, and now garment sewing is soothing that need.


More about Kansas.....
I made 3 garments that I will use for work and special events.

Made a reversible Peony silk vest, a Pan Pacific shirt (with double color and hidden placket and double cuffs), and a color blocked t-shirt. The Pan Pacific is made in a fine-weight cotton with a motif that graduates from nothing to full blown pattern across its width. I still need to make the buttonholes and redo the collar as I made it a tad too tight for my neck.  And the t-shirt is linen knit combined with a stretch sequin in copper.   Can't wait to wear this under a blazer.

I brought home an Indian silk, wool gauze, python black on black wool print, wool/rayon blend in 3 colors for color blocking, and a Pucci print silk!!!!   We stopped in Kansas City,  shopped at Kaplans and got two stunning peices of fabric for  a couple more fun shirts.  I was a little conservative in the amount of  fabrics I bought, mainly because our Mini Coper was pretty packed when we arrived...now I am alread living with regrets of purchases missed. Thanks heaven for mail order!!!!

I cannot say enough about Linda, Kathy and Erin....what a staff !!! I  felt so at home, being the only guy, and I think the first in one of these classes.....Linda warned the ladies I was coming and promised them I would move away into a corner when they wanted to try on clothing and while fitting....it worked for the first morning, after that first morning there was  little problem for them to be changing as if I weren't there— bras and undies were seen by all.
I mentioned to Linda, " I think I am one of the girls, now."

Kathy sews the most impeccable garments and has a style and color sense rivaled by no one I have ever known, and Erin is a sweetheart with the GenX vibe, modern look, and  so much polish.

Anyway I will dress my mannequin tonight and post pictures....because I am thrilled with all the amazing things I now own.
I was fortunate to purchase 2 shirts from her, they will be well loved and used in the next month....Stitches and Wendi's Wedding arre coming up soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment